Thursday, January 1, 2009

lessons from 2008

This year for once I am actually relieved to put the past 12 months behind me. In spite of a difficult 2008, it hasn’t been without its lessons.

I have learned:

The UP can be very cold in August when the wind comes the wrong way off “the Lake.” Next time I venture that way I will pack clothes for at least three temperature ranges - warm, cold and colder.

The grass is never greener on the other side of the fence. I used to romanticize working outside the house, imagining that getting out would be both fun and fulfilling - and it was, to a point. (The extra income was fabulous!) After that, you still have laundry to do and floors to scrub. And you can’t wear pajamas all day.

You get what you pay for. This goes for power tools and toys (sometimes they’re one and the same). Cheap tools just aren’t worth the trouble or the struggle or the noise they make as they protest cutting through 2x4’s or plywood.

Safety first. Two-by-fours can be projectile weapons that cause much pain. I should probably take this one to heart and get back in the garage to put the guards back on my table saw. Maybe I will when the weather warms up.

Parenting is a bit of a guessing game. Discipline? Activities? Sports? Bedtime? But, when you finally realize what a child loves to do and what he is good at (and if you’re lucky enough to have it be the same thing), you really need to, as a parent, encourage that. Who knows, you could have the next Wayne Gretsky or Jimi Hendrix on your hands.

You will never, ever be able to guess what might be required of you as a parent. That might be mopping up puke in the middle of the night or it might be playing referee/coach to two little wanna-be wrestlers, trying to teach them a double-leg takedown or a half-nelson. (Aren’t you impressed that I even know that much?) All you can do is go with the flow and do your best, even if it requires you to get down on all fours on a wrestling mat.

Saunas are a necessity to life.

Construction projects will take twice as long as you planned and cost you twice as much as you hoped.

Good music soothes the soul - somtimes lyrics can carry you through the day. Right now I’m humming Sanctus Real’s “Whatever You’re Doing” - (Whatever you’re doing inside of me/It feels like chaos but I believe/You’re up to something bigger than me/Larger than life something heavenly.)

Internet shopping is a lifesaver (and saves on the pocketbook too.) What did we do before Amazon and free shipping on orders over $25?

God is with us always, even if we don’t feel like He is, and maybe even especially when we don’t feel like He is.

And finally - there is power in prayer. Thanks so much for your prayers for us this year - you have blessed us and helped us through 2008.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

well, i'm glad that this post wasn't categorized as "not so deep thoughts"! ;)

great post. i wonder if i could come up with a list of my own ... ? It would require some deep thought, tho'. I'll have to see if I have a shovel deep enough to dig in.

Mia said...

What a year it turned out to be for you. Through it all, you are still standing and hopefully smiling a little too :) His mercies are new every morning.