Saturday, January 3, 2009

boys winter pics


Thought I'd share some of the latest images my new camera has captured. I usually do fall pictures of the boys, but this year (as you can see in the background) it got done a little late. I was still pleased with the results...


With this many kids, it usually takes quite a few shots before you get one decent one, but this year went much quicker. Maybe the cold is incentive for them to smile their best so they can get back inside. Lest you think I'm a horrible mother, let me tell you that they had on long-johns and long-sleeved shirts under their blue dress shirts and it was ONLY 20 degrees outside.

I love the blues and browns together in all these shots and after seeing how they turned out, wasn't even upset about the snow in the background.

I should tell you though, that we "scrambled" around quite a bit to find something for the boys to wear. I wasn't organized enough this year to find them anything matching or even coordinating. So, we dug in closets to see what we could find. Luckily they all had long-sleeved white shirts and some form of blue dress shirt. The only trouble was that the smallest one's shirt was, well small. So, I ripped shirts off the other three's backs and passed them down the line, knowing I had a hand-me-down shirt for the oldest boy from one of his cousins. Viola! They're all wearing shirts at least one or two sizes too big, but it made for a much better picture. And a much happier photographer/mother.


And, here's my trick to get four boys to cooperate for the next few shots - let them make a funny face for at least one picture. It turned out so well, I had to include it.

6 comments:

Krista Koljonen said...

I really like all of the pics, but I would have to say my favorite is the one of all four boys on the bench. Thanks for sharing. By the way, your new digital camera does a great job.

kara said...

yep - so happy i trusted some random dude on the internet and his recommendation. i would have loved to have purchased the camera of my dreams (nikon d3000) but i am very happy with this one for now.

Hannah said...

the pictures are awesome! such handsome boys.

I am always scrambling for matching clothes, too. Because I'm a clearance shopper & get stuff out of season, I never remember what I have stashed away until I pull it out of the closet. I try to think ahead & get the boys matching stuff (IF i can find all 3 sizes in the clearance section!). The trouble comes with trying to fit Rachel in somewhere ...

kara said...

Yep - it's easier to have all boys. Childen's Place is the best in a pinch, but sometimes you just get lucky and find things that sort of go. I figure I save enough by shopping clearance ranks and garage sales that I can afford to buy something "new" for things like pictures once a year. Usually have the best luck in January - Old Navy here I come...

Hannah said...

I am itching to hit the good winter clearance sales. One of the great ways that God helps us in meeting our budget needs is the fact that I am located MILES away from "real" shopping ...

Mia said...

Your pictures turned out great! As did your creations. You are very talented, and your subjects are pretty darn cute.