Tuesday, April 15, 2008

eight weeks

We've made it through the tough stuff. It's been eight weeks since the miscarriage and I'm finally starting to feel "normal." (If that's even possible for me - the most abnormal person I know.)

It took six weeks before all the physical stuff was over, which was a battle in itself with my lack of patience. I'm smart enough, though, not to pray for patience because then I'll really have things thrown my way to test me more. I have four boys for that.

So, here we are, April 15 - ironically - and I'm somewhat celebrating. I'm finally making it through the day without thinking about having lost a baby. For me, that's a huge milestone. I'm sure being busy helps too, but still the thoughts aren't as intense, the emotions aren't as out-of-control, and the body is feeling better. It is something to rejoice in.

Every once in awhile the loss will hit me and I'll cry for a little bit, usually later at night when I'm already tired and emotionally drained from a long day. It's still hard to see pregnant women. For awhile, it seemed like they were everywhere, big bellies taunting me. I'm able to look away now and not feel a deep pain inside. I still wonder. I still wish. And I know I will for some time. But the overwhelming feelings are decreasing. The hurt is slowly fading. I am smiling again.

I believe that's a good sign.

No comments: