Tuesday, June 3, 2008

ugly chicks


Not sure if I'm quite ready to lick my chops yet - especially considering how ugly these chicks get after a few weeks.

Not only are they ugly, but they're also dumb. The other day they had completely run out of food, so I filled the feeder and they're getting too big to all fit around it at the same time. I thought I would be nice and fill the smaller feeder so some of them could eat there, instead of watching them peck each other to get to the feed or water. (They're like some boys I know.)

Anyway, I could pick the half-grown chick up, put it next to the smaller feeder, try to put its head to the feed and it would have nothing to do with it. Instead, it would take off like a bandit for the other feeder, dive in, ruffle a few feathers and kick some other dumb cluck off the feeding line.

I tried several times to get them to eat from the second feeder. Who's the dumb one now? It only worked with one bird - apparently there is a hungry genius in the bunch. The rest, well I'm assuming they got a few bites in. The feeder was empty the next day.

No comments: