Wednesday, April 14, 2010

100 grand worth of happiness

This makes me feel better about not being wealthy - at least in terms of finances.

A recent New York Times column says, essentially, wealth is NOT the key to happiness. Finally. I can wake up from that dream.

Instead, having good interpersonal relationships make humans happy. If I have close friends, I will be happier than if I have more money. The activities most associated with happiness are sex, socializing after work and having dinner with others. (I'll buy that for two out of three, but won't tell you which two.)

All of this seems to be common sense, but now it's being backed up by research. Apparently a couple of studies have found the following:
1. Joining a group that meets just once a month produces the same happiness gain as doubling your income.
2. Being married gives you a psychic gain equivalent to more than $100,000 a year.

Wait until I tell hubby that one. He's rich! I bet he never knew I was worth a cool 100 grand. Heck, I didn't even know that.

It makes me happy. And it makes me hungry for one of those little candy bars...

1 comment:

Salubrious Dish said...

so true so true. I know lots of wealthy people bankrupt in happiness. It's not heaven here so I guess I'll take being broke over all the other hardships I could have to deal with. Keep writing sister!